• 18 posts
  • RegionNew Zealand

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:28 PM

National MP Nikki Kaye says she has changed her view on medicinal cannabis
Last updated 18:20, January 27 2017

http://www.stuff.co....icinal-cannabis

1485501814209.jpg
DIANA WORTHY/FAIRFAXNZ
Auckland Central MP Nikki Kaye has returned to work.

National MP Nikki Kaye says she has changed her view about medicinal cannabis since she was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Kaye, 36, stepped down from her ministerial role in September after the diagnosis but is now back at work.

She said her time undergoing treatment gave her something back - love for her family and she re-evaluated health issues including the use of medicinal cannabis, Newshub reports.
Kaye has said she is open to a re-think on health issues, including medicinal cannabis access.

1485501814209.jpg
Kaye has said she is open to a re-think on health issues, including medicinal cannabis access.

"I think obviously for some people it's [medicinal cannabis] very important.

READ MORE:
* Nikki Kaye has 'unfinished business'
* Nikki Kaye to take leave from Ministerial portfolios to undergo breast cancer treatment
* National MP Nikki Kaye returning to 'full duties' after breast cancer treatment
* Breast cancer won't stop Nikki Kaye running in Auckland Central for National

"The reality is what I've learned from my treatment is everybody responds in different ways, so I think it is important we have a system whereby people can get access," she said.

<iframe src='//players.brightcove.net/3921507366001/73568996-99ce-4b17-abd9-39751fa59035_default/index.html?videoId=5298968057001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>
Nikki Kaye gives essential advice to anyone concerned about breast cancer.

Kaye said she was on the side of ensuring people were able to get the best pain relief available. She said she needed to look at the detail on access to products.

Medicinal cannabis products are currently approved on a case by case basis by the associate health minister Peter Dunne.

Kaye told the broadcaster her diagnosis gave her a new perspective on life, the importance of exercise and rest, and the will to stay in politics.

"I felt I had unfinished business and I wanted to come back and make a significant difference."
Ad Feedback

Kaye is back at work as the associate education minister.

- Stuff

http://www.stuff.co....icinal-cannabis