• 2 posts
  • RegionNorth Shore Auckland

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

Invercargill woman with Crohn's disease abused for using disabled car park
AMBER-LEIGH WOOLF
Last updated 13:24, January 21 2016

Invercargill resident abused for taking disabled car park
stuff.co.nz
A disabled Invercargill resident has been abused for taking disabled car park.

An Invercargill woman says she was told to "piss off" after she parked in a disabled carpark, despite clearly displaying a mobility parking permit.

Tiger Stevens has had Crohn's disease since 2009 and said the incident on Tuesday left her in tears, embarrassed and reluctant to use her right to a disabled car park in future.

Stevens said the man in a wheelchair and the woman he was with judged her before she even left her car. Her mobility parking permit was clearly visible on her windscreen.

"I hadn't even got out of my car and I saw their faces and I just knew."

READ MORE:
* Disabled and elderly to get access codes to drive up Mt Eden summit
* Accessibility key to everyone being able to get into the Christmas spirit

The couple told Pak 'n Save staff Stevens was using the disabled car park without reason, she said.

1453336108442.jpg
JOHN HAWKINS/FAIRFAX NZ
Invercargill resident Tiger Stevens, who has had Crohn's disease since 2009, was accused of faking an illness at a supermarket carpark by another disabled customer.

Even though her mobility parking permit was clearly visible, at the top of her windscreen, and she had stickers on her bumper.

"They'd gone into the supermarket and they told [staff] that I'd parked in a disabled parking area, and I knew immediately what was happening."

Pak 'n Save staff were understanding, Stevens said.

"I told them [staff] what was wrong with me and they were happy with it."

The couple passed her while she was explaining her circumstances to the PAK'n'SAVE staff, Stevens said.

"The guy in the wheelchair told me to 'piss off'. He was angry."

The incident, which took place in front of her 10-year-old son, left her embarrassed and confused, she said.

"I went into the supermarket and got a few things I needed and then got back to my car in tears."

Stevens said not all disabilities are visible. On bad days she would need to use a bathroom ten times in one morning.

"I only try to park in the disability parking spot if I really need it. A lot of people with Crohn's disease [have to]. My son has seen me need the bathroom immediately."

She moved to Invercargill a few weeks ago and said she did not expect such abuse in a smaller city.

"People are nicer down here and I want to live down here. It's just that I haven't been judged like that before. But yesterday I was."

CCS Disability Action spokesperson Joy Gunn said there were 123,000 current holders of a mobility parking permit in New Zealand.

"We are aware that there are a few instances around the country and where people make the assumption that some one doesn't have a disability.

"Anyone concerned about someone misusing a car park should not take the law into their own hands. The can take the car registration or the licence plate and give that to the city council or district council and it's their role to follow up."

- Stuff http://www.stuff.co....sabled-car-park

#2 Olive Oyl

Olive Oyl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • RegionWaiuku

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:08 PM

Much like .....

Not all Injuries are visible!