• 562 posts
  • RegionNelson

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:30 PM

New Zealanders buying fewer Lotto tickets
HENRY COOKE
Last updated 15:57, November 2 2015

1446434151716.jpg
CHARLOTTE CURD/FAIRFAX NZ

An average of 1,228,458 people played Lotto every week.

A lack of lucrative jackpots meant Kiwis spent far less on the Lotto over the last year, but over a quarter of Kiwis are still playing every week.

The Lotto NZ annual report, tabled in Parliament on Monday, showed that sales dropped by almost ten percent for 2014/15 financial year that ended June 30.

The sales drop led to a profit of $198.6 million, down $27.6 million on the previous year.

Every week, an average of 1,228,458 people played Lotto – around 27 percent of the population. Some of those people could be counted twice if they bought several lots of Lotto tickets each week.

This number was down from 1,289,867 the year prior, but significantly up from 943,703 the year before that.

$437 million was paid out to winners. All Lotto NZ profits are distributed to community groups across the country.

The decline in sales was attributed to a lack of high jackpot Powerball draws.

Powerball only topped $20 million for one week during the financial year, compared to eight weeks in the year prior.

"Lotteries are by their very nature random, and in any given year the length of jackpot runs and the corresponding size of big prize offers have a significant influence on sales," Lotto NZ spokeswoman Emilia Mazur said.

Regular Lotto and Powerball tickets made up the vast majority of sales, earning $545.4 million.
Ad Feedback

Instant Kiwi and Big Wednesday earned around $150 million each.

Lotto is by far New Zealand's most popular form of gambling, with recent research suggesting up to half of the population play Lotto or buy scratchies at some point throughout each year.

It is estimated that less than 2 per cent of gamblers who only played Lotto were problematic gamblers – even if they played every week.

Large jackpot powerballs are more likely to cause problematic gambling behaviour, Problem Gambling Foundation (PGF) spokeswoman Andrée Froude said.

"These big jackpots certainly do change buyer behaviour," she said.

"The odds of winning those big jackpots really aren't very big."

The foundation were generally more concerned with Pokies and other forms of instant gambling than lotteries, as they were the source of the most harm.

Just 270 problem gamblers cited the Lotto as their primary mode of gambling when receiving help, down from 324 the year prior.

Lotto NZ paid a Problem Gambling Levy of $1.154m. No convictions for underage scratchie sales was recorded.

Mazur said that they encouraged "responsible play, which is all about about having fun, being informed, and knowing your limits".

Their programme for dealing with problem gambling was certified to level 3 by the World Lottery Association's Responsible Gaming Framework, with level 4 being the highest possible certification.

Profits from Lotto were distributed to a wide variety of community initiates, including Surf Life Saving, Cricket World Cup pitches, and Te Papa's 'Scale of War' exhibition.

'NORMALISING' ADS

The ubiquity of Lotto ads in New Zealand was criticised by the PGF.

"Lotto really is in your face, there's advertising everywhere." Froude said.

"It's concerning because they obviously do have a really big ad budget. People see those ads that show people winning, fulfilling this elusive dream, and they really think they are in with a chance."

Lotto NZ spent $24.5 million on "promotion and retail support" over the financial year.

Mazur said that they focused on making ads that created "an emotional connection" with their players.

The report claims that their ads "do not promote reliance on gaming as a means of relieving financial difficulty", and "will not imply a promise of winning" or "exaggerate the chances".

It also claims that their ads and products are designed to appeal only to adults.

In addition to regular advertising, Lotto NZ have also purchased sponsored articles in mainstreams news media.

Froude claims the ads have the effect of normalising gambling behaviour.

"It really normalises it. You can buy them at the checkout as part of your weekly shopping, which means you're buying it as part of weekly spend, rather than making an intentional decision."

"Before you know it you could spent a lot more than you intended."

Mazur defended Lotto NZ's advertising strategy, claiming Kiwis were in it to help their communities.

"They know it's a little bit of fun, and they know they're helping raise money for the community – that's what Lotto is all about."

- Stuff

http://www.stuff.co....r-lotto-tickets

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

#2 Admin

Admin

Management

• Administrators
  • 562 posts
  • RegionNelson

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:39 PM

Many people I know who buy a lotto and powerball ticket only do so in the hope of getting out of financial hardship if they are lucky enough to win big!

Re: Mazur defended Lotto NZ's advertising strategy, claiming Kiwis were in it to help their communities.

Everyone I know that buy a ticket each week when they can afford it only do so in the hope of winning!

Helping their communities comes second.

Now that there are two draws a week not many of my friends can afford to get tickets for both draws.

Some of my friends only spend $4.80 on four lines of lotto and a couple of dollars for 2 lines of strike.

They can't afford to spend that amount twice a week!

The rich get richer because they can afford to buy them and win them!

From the admin: I'll just stick to my once a week lotto/powerball ticket costing $4.80 - when I can afford it!

If I don't win anything then good on for the communities!

In my home me and my family comes first, not the community we live in Thank you very much!

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.