Photo

is it alright for me to mow my own lawns?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 L1 Incomplete

L1 Incomplete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • RegionWhangarei

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:45 AM

I am wheelchair dependant and I have decided that I am capable of mowing my own lawns, whilst it is probably not safe I can not afford to pay for them to de done.

I use a TDX-SP Powerchair and a battery powered Enviromower. It's relatively easy for me to hold the mower with my left hand and control the chair with my right.

A friend of mine who is battling ACC is adamant that I should not mow my lawns; He says that if I am seen doing them ACC will be doing what ever they can to close my case.

I am not receiving any ACC financial compensation as I was unemployed at the time of my accident in 2006.

I don’t see any problems in what I am doing as I am in my power-chair and in effect all I am doing is pushing the mower from a seated position, I lean over to one side to detach the catcher and re-attach it once it is empty.

How could this be an issue and how could it affect my claim?

Cheers.

#2 Wendy

Wendy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • RegionPalmerston North

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

I apologise if this is a silly question as you've stated you're capable (and most probably happy?) of doing that but have you approached WINZ for any assistance as in providing financial support to cover the cost of paying for someone to mow your lawns for you?

#3 L1 Incomplete

L1 Incomplete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • RegionWhangarei

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:48 AM

I apologise if this is a silly question as you've stated you're capable (and most probably happy?) of doing that but have you approached WINZ for any assistance as in providing financial support to cover the cost of paying for someone to mow your lawns for you?

Hi Wendy and thanks for your reply.

I haven't approached WINZ because one of my Son's is always happy to step in, but I feel that I am relying on them for too much.

I am constantly trying to do more for myself and although I do suffer from extra aches and pains from doing the lawns I really do enjoy mowing them.

Thanks again for your reply and your question.

#4 Grumpy

Grumpy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • RegionWellington

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:51 PM

Hi L1 Incomplete

I honestly admire individuals like yourself unfortunate enough to be in the position you're in who want to control their own lives.

I've had my thinking cap on and have come up with this idea.

Have you thought about getting a couple of brackets made up so you can attach your lawn mower to the front of your wheelchair ... hmmm there would be a problem as in you emptying the catcher I guess. Silly idea.

Maybe have it attached to the side (left or right) so you can empty it without to much problem.

I'm no engineer or the likes but I'm thinking two light weight detachable brackets wouldn't cost much.

What do you reckon?

#5 L1 Incomplete

L1 Incomplete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • RegionWhangarei

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:23 PM

Hi L1 Incomplete

I honestly admire individuals like yourself unfortunate enough to be in the position you're in who want to control their own lives.

I've had my thinking cap on and have come up with this idea.

Have you thought about getting a couple of brackets made up so you can attach your lawn mower to the front of your wheelchair ... hmmm there would be a problem as in you emptying the catcher I guess. Silly idea.

Maybe have it attached to the side (left or right) so you can empty it without to much problem.

I'm no engineer or the likes but I'm thinking two light weight detachable brackets wouldn't cost much.

What do you reckon?

Your idea is not silly. A bracket or two would make things a lot easier, particularly so if my lawns were large.

I had thought of removing the wheels from the mower and fitting castor's, that way I could push and steer the mower at the same time.

But as I have a lawn size of next to nothing (about 35 mins does the lot) the cost out weighs the benefits.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question and many thnks for you comment of admiration. (made me feel good).

Cheers  Ray.

#6 Admin

Admin

Management

• Administrators
  • 574 posts
  • RegionNelson

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

Grumpy may be on to something here.

Good post.

I'm sure that someone in Whangarei who has the facilities and is capable of making up those brackets would do so for you at cost of materials only, or even better still, free of charge.

We'll see what happens over the next few days after visitors have seen this thread.

New Zealand is full of kind hearted people. And those that aren't are all over at the accforum.org abusing genuine claimants instead of helping them. Sorry, but had to say that :)

I feel good about this.

I'll flick the topic url around to all the MP's who follow ACCforum.nz on twitter - maybe one of them has contacts in Whangarei who knows someone that knows someone that can help.

L1 Incomplete's personal story can be read here

http://accforum.nz/t...e-my-sagastory/

Edited by Admin, 15 January 2015 - 04:28 PM.
Added link to L1 Incomplete's personal story

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

#7 Tomcat

Tomcat

• Moderators
  • 12 posts
  • RegionFar North NZ

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:04 AM

Greetings...

I have just spoken to my son who is a qualified structural engineer / fabricator...in Whangrei...

He is happy to help you out and design and construct what you need...

call me ... 094018821

#8 L1 Incomplete

L1 Incomplete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • RegionWhangarei

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:08 PM

Greetings...

I have just spoken to my son who is a qualified structural engineer / fabricator...in Whangrei...

He is happy to help you out and design and construct what you need...

call me ... 094018821

Thanks Tomcat. I'll call you when I get back from Holiday in a few weeks time.